Saturday, October 2, 2010

what a BUSY BUSY BUSY week!!! (09.25- 10.01)

What a freakin' busy week! Everyday we had something planned! It's fun to be on the go! And it's sooooo much easier now, something I couldn't even imagine a year ago!


Sat, 9/25- playdate at Bee and John's house. Dan had the day off b/c it's Saudi National Day (their July 4th). They have (3) boys, Paden- 1 yr, Atticus-3 yr, and Logan -5yr. Dan ran into John one day at the dining hall and they both exchanged info and found out that their wives are both Asian. Dan had recruited John over here. We took the kids and Semira there after breakfast. I brought over a banana raisin bread (found the perfect recipe, it's so easy to make and totally DELISH). The adults got to talk, drank tea and ate banana bread while the nannies watched the kiddos. They have a live in nanny as well that's there for SEVEN days!!! At lunch time, their nanny, Susan made us a DELICIOUS Asian noodle stir fry that's too die for! Dan and I were estatic, we haven't had food like this since Houston! And they told us there's an Asian supermarket here which they'll show us one day. VERY EXCITED!!! We really enjoyed their company and was rushing to go home b/c I finally am able to take my art class. We had to get home to put the kids down for their nap so I can go to my first class, Beginner's Printmaking.


The class is during the kids nap (Sat, Sun & Tues for this week and Sun & Tues next week). The best part is I'm the only student. Another student backed out on her and she wanted to teach me this class since I was the only really interested in it from the beginning. It's a really intense class b/c I'm learning (4) different techniques of printmaking and most of the work is done outside. It has been really challenging balancing this class, my exercise, and cooking for the kids during their naps.


When I came home from my art class, Dan had all three kids on his lap watching Jim Jam. He said they woke up early. We got them ready to go to Tina's & Kamal's for a BBQ. I didn't know, but it was to celebrate my bday. They totally surprised me! I didn't figure it out until half way through the whole thing...even when Leanne gave me her gift, I still didn't get it. She said they went to Bahrain that morning to get me something and it still didn't click for me until Nic said it was for my bday. I guess I'm reallly slow these days when it comes to that kind of stuff. Party was very nice, so nice of the Felembans to go through so much trouble considering they have a toddler and newborn to take care of. And the cake was YUMMY!!!


Sun, 9/26- Dan signed the kids up for toddler gymnastic class which starts next week. One of his co-worker, Crissy, babies sat for us so Dan and I could go have sushi for my bday. We ate at Fushi Sushi in Rashid Mall, yes the mall, it's a sit down restaurant not the food court. Interesting sushi here, not much selection but atleast it did curb my cravings for it. Can't wait to get the real stuff in December when we visit!
Another exciting thing happened that day! Dan finally went to pick up mail and we received the kids halloween costumes from Julie and a letter from Dan's Aunt Jackie. I had ordered their costumes and personalized trick or treat bags and had them shipped to Julie and she shipped them here. It was a wonderful to get a package and she also added 3 flip flops for them. We let them try their costumes on and they were all wearing bits and pieces of it along w/their new sandals from Julie. We took them to the neighbor's house, 3 houses down and let them play infront of their yard b/c it has a bunch of rocks. They go crazy for the rocks. They can't get enough of them, they like to collect them, throw at things that will make a noise, and funny enough kiss them. Who knew that something so abundant here and FREE would be there favorite thing to play with.


Mon, 9/27- playdate at Sharon's house. OMG that was the biggest playdate EVER!!! Sharon is the mom who Semira used to work for. I think there were about 15-20 moms with their kids and housemaids. It was so LOUD, you could barely hold a conversation. They weren't kidding when they said wait til the moms are back from the summer...suddenly the neighborhoods are bustling w/moms driving their kids everywhere and kids playing out in the street. Definitely different from when we first arrived. Anyways it was a big gathering b/c preschool daycare didn't start til next week and moms are always looking for an outing to take their kids too. I know I am! Most of the moms here put their kids in some sort of daycare for about 3-4 days a week, sometimes even 5 days. It's usually 8-11 and then some will also do 1-4. The daycare is in someone's house so you really have to do your research b/c there's no regulations. The rumor is Aramco has a daycare in one of their other compound and will provide one here at some time, enshallah! I actually don't see a point in putting them in daycare since I have a Semira and they can get their socialization from playdates and they are learning a lot from home. Their vocab has totally increased over the last month, but I'll blog about that later.


Tues, 9/28- playdate at Saadia's house. Saadia is from Australia and her family was living at the Ras Tanura camp and recently got transfered to Dhahran. It was more of a coffee thing for the moms, but a few kids were there. She had an amazing spread of food and desserts! The great thing about here is you meet so many people from different countries...the hardedst thing for me is understanding people b/c of all the different dialects, but I'm getting better at it. And it's so interesting to learn about their home land and culture. It will be great once the kids go to school, they will be such international kids and very tolerant of other races.
We took the kids to the neighborhood park after their nap. It literally is about a 2 minute walk from the house. Not only that since we are in the Hills, we are surrounded by pocket parks. They really enjoy playing at the park, what kids doesn't?


Wed, 9/29- DWG playdate. Lidia, a mom w/twin girls came. She currently has her girls in pre-school for five days and wanted to check the place out to see if she should bring her girls there. She's been here for about a month now, I met her during the Eid celebration. Carissa and another mom, Lyena were also there. We had some very interesting adult conversation, it was actually quite funny! I don't think I've laughed that hard at a playdate before! :-)


Dan and I went to Ikea and Panda while Semira watched the kids. We're getting really good at grocery shopping if it's just us. We can get everything that's needed on a weekly basis (milk, bread, fruits/veggies, meats), be in and out of the store in 30 minutes. Even had time for Krispy Creme donut break and checked out some accessories at Ikea...still trying to figure out our curtains issues for the upstairs.


Thurs, 9/30- Dan left before I got the kids up for breakfast to run a few errands. He went to the Emirates Airline office to see if we could switch our return flight in December to an evening one, but they said it's best to wait til we're in Houston to do it (the guy prolly didn't want to deal w/it). He also got a haircut, went to Saco for a new bathmat for the kids, and tried to get us cell phones. We've been mobile phone free since coming here, it's actually been really nice. He wanted to get me the new I Phone, but it's so new that he was #48 in line and they were only on #13 after waiting for 20 minutes. I told him to wait until the hype is down and we can get one then. I'm in no rush! I like to be mobile free...it's so refreshing to not have one.


That night, we got a babysitter, Mrs. Joy to stay at the house after the kids went to sleep. I found Mrs. Joy from Nadia, she is her live-in housemaid but she works part-time for her and is available for babysitting. If Nadia trusts her w/her family, then I'm in good hands. We went to Peter's 20/50 party...he's been here for 20 years and turned 50 years old. It was an AWESOME night out...I couldn't believe how much fun it was to get out, have good food and "refreshing beverages" and met a lot of friendly folks. The beverages is what got me...never in a million years did I even think I would have a H.O. in Saudi Arabia, much less enjoy the homemade beverages here, but I did!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I still can't believe it!!! Of course on the way home, just our luck we got pulled over by the police. But luckily we were on our street and Dan just pulled into our garage. The cop pulled us over b/c our back lights were out on the van. Thank goodness it was no biggie! Dan had let Crissy borrow the Trailblazer that's why we took the van.


Basically I felt so horrible Friday morning, and to make matters worst, the kids woke up at 7 that morning which they've NEVER done! We were planning to have Bee, John and their kids over for a playdate, but Dan had to call them and cancel...trust me, I was in no shape to host. Dan and the kids were so good to me, let me sleep it off until noon.


Pictures of the week:


the kiddos are playing so lovingly (most of the time). This picture is blurry but they love to do this A LOT, hold onto each other's shirt and walk and laugh at the same time. Skyler, Tobin & Hudosn

another funny moment. Tobin has Hudson pinned down and Skyler's posing for Mommy. Notice her bros shirt on her. This is actually my FB picture at this time.


my bday party at the Felembans: Ismael on Dan's lap. Dan was playing w/him so much he was so attached to him. Thanks to Tina for some of these pictures.

Tina and Leanne with their babies. Elena is about 1 month old and I think Isak is 5 months. The stars on the ceiling are Tina's Ramadan decorations.


Skyler and Ismael


Skyler and Tina. She put these sunglass & hat on by herself.

All of the kids helping me blow out my candles.










Tobin



Kamal, Dan, and Nic

I don't remember what was so funny, but Dan and I must of got a kick out of it.

Dan entertaining the little ones: Tobin, Skyler and Ismael. He's a FANTASTIC dad!


Daddy and Tobin


Dan w/Skyler and Ismael


Hanging around house pictures:
This is pretty funny, you have to look at the below picture first. I caught Hudson sititng w/his buddies to watch Jim Jam. Next thing I know Skyler comes by and takes them...and that's how I have this picture. PRICELESS!



Tobin


Hudson giving a sip of tea to I think the duck from The Wonderpets. I taught Skyler to lick the ice cream even though she's never had one.


Tobin pouring tea


He's feeding a strawberry to Dora.


their buddies. It cracks me up everytime they do this!

Pictures from the neighborhood park: Hudson on the slide

There were (3) different slides at this park but we only have picture of this one. The other one is a taller and curvier slide, I thought the kids couldn't go down by themselves, but they all did w/o any of our help. Explains why there's no picture, we're all standing around making sure no one falls.


Hudson



Skyler down the slide

Hudson, Skyler and Tobin


Tobin down the slide


Skyler and Tobin

She enjoyed Daddy burying her leg in sand.

Playdate at Saadia's house. Semira watching the kids and Max, Carissa's boy. Saadia has the same floorplan we have b/c she also has (3) kids. She uses her front room as the playroom where we use it as a dining room.



I had bought these sunglasses before we left and they've been in a closet, totally forgot about them. I was sorting through things getting ready for our shipment and came across them. Hudson, Skyler and Tobin. So funny I told them I wanted to take a picture of them and they lined up against this wall.


super cool babes! See how Tobin has the pink glasses, Skyler didn't want them. Notice the painted walls.

Daddy and his boys: Dan was raising their legs and each time they'd cracked up big time! Tobin & Hudson



Semira and the kids w/their blocks. It was so cute, they were getting this stack so tall they were tiptoeing. It's the tallest so far!

Our night out to Peter's party

2 comments:

The Scotts said...

Im moving there in three weeks. We have been reading your blog like you I have 3 children and the preperation has been crazy. Any ideas or help would be greatly apreciated.
Jennifer

Anna said...

Jennifer- shoot me an email w/your number and I will call you later tonite since i'm ahead 8 hr. i assume you're in Houston?
dacotes@yahoo.com

Anna