Merry Christmas from The Cotes. Daddy holding Tobin & Skyler. Mommy w/Hudson. Our visit w/Santa courtesy of the SAEA. Santa made a special trip to KSA, didn't think he could get his visa approved! :-) ( I don't know what happened to Skyler's shoes)

Sun, 11/28- Angie hosted this playdate. It was at park near her house. I debated whether to go or not since it was just me, but we went. I checked to make sure it was fenced in, with 2 yr old triplets who are ALWAYS on the go, that's a MUST especially if I'm by myself. We came there an hour late, not because I couldn't get out the house on time. They had breakfast, diaper and clothes changed and ready to go by 9, but they were playing SO WELL together that I didn't want to disrupt them. We left for the park when someone made someone cry! :-)
Then at the park, it was really tough to hang out w/the mommies b/c I was pulled in so many directions, Skyler wanted to swing, Hudson wanted to do something else...so I just tended to them and didn't get a chance to mingle. BTW, they were really good at holding hands and staying close even when crossing the streets. The weather was so beautiful we stayed there another hour after everyone left. At one point I was so busy taking pictures and wasn't looking, Hudson fell down and hit his head on one of the metal rods on the playground...I felt so horrible, that's when it was time to go home.
Tues, 11/30- We visited a pre-school after the kids woke up from their nap, Mrs. Libby. We'll try this place out when the New Year rolls around. They will go for 3 days a week from 8-11. Pre-school or I should say play school is not regulated by anything over here...it's basically in someone's home. Most of the time people convert their garage and use that as part of it. Mrs. Libbey has the converted garage, the front room (the one we use as a dining room) and her backyard. And it's very clicky, some schools have "waiting list" but that doesn't mean anything, it's sad but basically if you're in a certain crowd and knows the person running the school, you can pretty much get in. Also it's very segregated, Americans, Canadians, and other countries don't want to be in an Arabic school and likewise.
The kids seem to like the school, maybe because we were both there talking to Mrs. Libbey. Maybe it's a new surrounding w/lots of toys. Who knows how it'll be when they actually go there next year. I can only hope for the best. I do know several moms who have their kids there so that's a good feeling. And if they're not ready then they're not ready...we shall see, enshallah!
Wed, 12/1- Playdate at Caroline's house. I brought my banana raisin bread...I've finally found the perfect recipe that is so moist. I am now skipping my regular Wed's playgroup and joining a different one. The previous group, most of the moms are already a part of the Sunday one so when Bee asked me to join hers I was so happy. This new group is just me, Bee, Caroline, and Ana (yes another Anna, not me). We all have 3 kids in common. I just happen to be the one w/triplets and they don't seem to mind at all. They actually are very understanding, really friendly and nice ladies to hang out with. Caroline's been here for 2 yrs, Bee since Feb. and Ana since June of this year. We all clicked instantly, it's so wierd how you meet people and gravitate to them.
Thurs, 12/2- Dan took care of the kids all by himself so I could go shopping in Damman, a nearby city, with Bee and Ana. I picked everyone up and met by the theatre so the bus could take us there. I can't believe we are at a point w/the kids where they're OK w/Dan being at home w/them or Dan being OK at home w/them alone. We finally figure out how I can be out of the house and they don't cry, we just tell them "mommy's at work" when they don't see me. It's a wonderful plan, I just love it! :-) They funny thing is I asked Dan if he was OK w/them and if he would trade me working full time (if I could here) and he stays home w/the kids...his answer "heck no" (as much as he adores these guys). Bought lots of stuff for the house, I even bought my SECOND abaya!!! I can't believe it!!! Never in a million years would I think to own more than one. This one is black, of course w/silver stitching and turqouise stones. I thought I did a lot of shopping, but when I came home and converted it to US, it was only $80 US. Love the bargaining here! I had a really fun time w/these ladies! We even sampled some Arabic snacks. I came home and hung out w/the kiddos before we put them down for their nap.
That night, I headed to Heather's house to watch Sex in the City 2 with a few ladies she had over. I knew a few of them, but there were some new faces. She lives down the street from me so I just walked. Wierd to think I could just walk at night and not feel scared...could never do that in Houston, atleast not by myself. What a perfect day!
Fri, 12/3- Kids got to take pictures w/Santa, yup Santa Claus in Saudi Arabia! It's part of the SAEA group. Our appointment w/Santa was at 1:30, very close to nap time but we managed. They slept late but atleast they slept. Bee and Ana's family also met us there. Caroline's family came later b/c of her kids napping schedule.
Chrissy babies sat for us and we went to have dinner at AppleBee's and grocery shopping at Panda. We had wings, I couldn't believe I was eating them here. It was OK, not like in Houston, but atleast I know where to go when I have a craving for them. It's funny, how things change when you've been here for a while. We've been here for almost 6 months now and the stuff that used to bother us when we first arrived has become irrelevant. I guess we are over the culture shock, except for the black and white at the malls. I don't think I will get over that. Men are in their traditional tobe (long while gown) and women in their black abayas and most of them cover their faces/head completely.
Pictures of the week:
Yogurt, one of their favorite snack. I used to fret over how messy they get, but not anymore...it's not worth it.
Hudson
Skyler

Tobin

Park playdate: all loving the sand!

everyone on the playground


Skyler loves the sand!

Hudson & Tobin on the slide

Hudson, he really was so curious about the sand!


Furries update: it's been a while since I've talked about these guys...frankly, we've just neglected them since being here, we both feel so badly for them. The house and yard is just so small for them...I know it doesn't matter to them that they're rather w/us, but it's very hard to find time for them. Dan still walks them at night after dinner, but it's not enough for them. So now that the weather's gotten so much nicer during the day, I've been taking them for a walk, about 45min- 1 hr w/the kids. And on the weekends during the kids nap, Dan's been taking them out to the open desert field to let them run around freely. Redford's aging so quick, he has a lot of gray hairs under his chin. One thing they are useful for is the cleanup, they love to clean up all the mess on the floors from the kids, that's why Redford's so round. My "cleanup crew" never fails me. :-)

this is what I saw one day during the kids nap as I was trying to get upstairs, Molly. She is so gentle with the kids and all the other kids that come into our house.



No comments:
Post a Comment