June and July has been really busy for me. Ever since my art show (see below), I was convince to participate in an upcoming show in October, so I've been busy creating more artwork. I'm allowed to put in (10) pieces and may actually meet that. I've started weaving baskets ontop of doing my printwork. I'm working on my last basket and of course it's taking the longest. My former printmaking instructor is doing workshops w/me this month to get ready for the show. All I have to do is pay for materials and not class fees since I already took her class. On top of my artwork, I'm also planning the kids 3rd birthday party (which we'll celebrate next month in Houston), online shopping for things to bring back, figuring out their Halloween costumes, and maintaining my exercise routine. Dan thinks it's funny that I'm so "busy" and stressing over this b/c technically these are all self imposed deadlines....ah the life of an Aramco wife...ah the life of an expat! But he agrees that living overseas we do have to plan for things in future especially for the holidays. It's not like I can go to Party City and pick up 3 costumes for Halloween! We'll be in Houston for (5) weeks and by the time we come back to Saudi, it'll take us atleast (2) weeks to get back to our routine...so I doubt I will have any creative juices to finish my projects.
One BIG change this month is our new FULL TIME live-in housemaid, Harle. By full time I mean we have her on the weekends too, something I wasn't sure how I'd like but so far, it's been the best for us. AND she finishes her day when we finish putting the kids to bed, on OUR schedule. We started her w/helping us put the kids to bed since no one has ever been able to do that for us. The kids took about 2 weeks to warm up to her, letting her change their diapers, bathe them, etc. and now they really like her. Of course they still want us to do that...I have to keep telling them that "Harle is here to help Mommy and Daddy". Dan and I feel really good about her. She's so positive and happy all the time which is not always the case w/live in help. Harle used to work for Caroline. Caroline had processed their paperwork to sponsor their own nanny six months ago and their new nanny finally came in May. Caroline let me know that Harle would be available and we jumped on it before we lost her to another family. She had to work for a Saudi family for a month before coming to us, but it was worth the wait!
Since her being here, Dan and I have gone out to dinners twice with other couples and several shopping trips w/o the kids. One night she even put the kids down for bed. It was such a great feeling coming home to know that we finally have someone to help us on OUR schedule.
Pictures of the month:
Daddy giving everyone a "back" ride (Skyler, Tobin, Hudson). Dan is amazing at entertaining them. He does all sort of dare devil things w/them like swinging them in different directions, letting them climb all over him, jumping while holding them. And he usuallydoes at this after working all day...I don't know how he has the energy for it, but he manages to say "yes" to them most of the time. Another favorite of theirs now is doing the "Hot Dog Diggity Dance" from Mickey Mouse. They love dancing to that song and also when Dan carrys one and dances to the song...it's hilarious!
I see so much of how the boys LOVE hanging out w/each other. Hudson & Tobin
My first art show: DAG (Dharhan Art Group) had a printmaking show and my former instructor suggested I put some of my pieces in. I did not have these for sale, but I'm working on some that will be for an upcoming show in October. Printmaking has been really fun and really allows me to express my creative side. The challenging part is inking, getting the right consistency of colors and mixing the colors.
I call this one "Pagoda Blossoms", etching on pexiglass.
The opening night, Dan put the kids to bed by himself. Everyone was actually sound asleep when I came home. We took the kids there the next day so some of my fellow art peeps could meet them. Of course they were more interested in playing around then looking at art.
Dan swinging the boys: Hudson's in front.
June is when most of the expat moms leave camp and head back to their home country. Most leave all summer long and don't return until September when school starts. At this time, I'm in no liberty to attempt this (flying by myself w/almost 3 yr old triplets...ain't gonna happen). I'm not even sure if it'll ever happen, I actually don't mind the heat and it is kinda nice enjoying the "quiet" camp. Who knows? I may change my mind when they are older. But they way I see it, we came here to be a family so I couldn't imagine the kids and I being away from Dan for several months. Since most of my friends are leaving for the summer, we spent a lot of time w/the three families that we've become close too. Lots of playdates and dinner outings. Ana and her family spent their repat in Thailand. Caroline and her kids went back to Canada. Bee and her kids went back to Malaysia. Both Caroline and Bee's hubby will join them at a later time.
The boys w/Aileen in the upstairs playroom
Aileen, Skyler, Hudson and Hallel in their bedroom
Skyler joined in the fun
Hallel tucked everyone in bed.
Caroline hosted a potluck dinner at her house...yes that's right 12 kids in the pool plus 2 from their neighbors, Ok so maybe not everyone was in the pool at the same time. Some serious water fun (yes that's our pool, it's the only one among the families that was big enough).
Only Skyler and Hudson played in the pool, Tobin was more kids watching that evening.
Holy smokes! Atleast 3-4 times a week I'd ask Skyler if she wants a ponytail...for the longest time it was "no"...now this month finally a "yes". After she went to Mrs. Libby's school, she wanted to wear dresses and I couldn't believe when she said "yes" to the ponytails! So hang on! It only took her 34 months before she wanted to be girlie, there's still lots of tom boyish in her, come on now, she is my daughter! One morning hanging out w/her bros.
then another morning, after she said "yes" to ponytails, asked her if she wanted braids..."yes"!
so happy I could capture these!
housing around: Skyler, Tobin, Hudson
With Harle: it didn't take the kids long at all to warm up to her.
Graduation @ Mrs. Libby 6/18/11 Saturday. They have learned so much from her. They were at home for 2 weeks before starting summer school w/Mrs. Beth. It was kinda nice hanging out in the morning and not rushing. Only hard part is not being able to exercise and walk the furries. Had to make up for it during their nap...it was so brutal! The heat is ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been 110's lately and now the humidity hits, feels like a sauna.
I gave each teachers, Mrs. Libby, Ms. Tori, and Mrs. Anjou a card and some candies/home-made chocolate chip cookies from each of the kiddos. And they got to pass them out to the teachers. I'm so glad I made the right decision by putting them in there.
Hudson was so done w/graduation :-)
Their classmates. I think some kids didn't show up. When I was labeling these pictures for blogging, the kids were pointing to each kid saying their name.
Tobin's so ready for it to be over.
Aileen, kids and Maya
Our weekly playdates have been at the kiddie pool. Hudson and his juice. I still don't give them juice at home, they only get it when we're at playdates, friends house, or a restaurant. They don't associate having juice at home...they drink just water and milk.
Tobin & Skyler snacking, their favorite thing to do at playdates is devour all the food. I still have them wearing these baby hooded towels, now it fits like a jacket instead of covering their whole bodies.
Harle w/the kids
1 comment:
AWESOME!!!
LOVE To ALL!
Post a Comment