Monday, August 9, 2010

Semira, blood test, playdate, painting (07.10-07.16)

I've decided to blog about the week's event unless there's something that just can't wait and of course, if I have time to do it right then, yea right! I forgot to mention that we have a gardener...we actually had 3 gardeners in the beginning. Apparently when you're new to the street, gardeners just bombard you trying to get you as their next customer. We were definitely "fresh meat"! We had 3 who kept coming by for about a week, 2 of them didn't speak a lick of English, most of them are from India/Pakistan and we kept saying "no", even waving "no" to them, but they kept coming. We picked Ashok, our gardener b/c he speaks English and he had all the tools. I can't believe that for that first week they never ran into each other until one day...there was a fight! I was wokened up at 7 in the morning b/c Ashok and one of the other gardener were arguing over who was getting to take care of our lawn. I told the other guy that we kept saying "no" but he keeps showing up, since Ashok understood he left and felt good that he can be our gardener. He is very proud too, everytime we have visitors, he always tell them "I'm their gardener", we know b/c that's what people tell us. Kinda funny story, but he is really a nice guy. He even takes our trash out to the street and picks up after the dogs in the backyard...money well spent!!! BTW, trash pickup here is everyday, really convenient, but I think it keeps the street kinda dirty looking b/c there's always trash on the sidewalk.


I'm in the midst of planning the kids 2nd bday party, it won't be anything extravagant, but atleast it's something. It'll be on the 20th since that's the weekend for us. OK updates for the second week:

Sat, 7/10- Semira started her trial day and I knew immediately I made the right decision. The kids warmed up to her right away! They let her hold them, play with them and even hugged them right off the bat! I couldn't believe it, even my boys, you know my boys are such momma's boys, they're very picky about who holds them. When Dan came home we took them to the Dharhan Hills park, it's a very BIG park, near our house. We actually have lots of little pocket parks around us, even one right on our street, but of course haven't been there b/c of the heat! Dan could tell what a huge difference she did for me, I was not that crazed when he came home! It was her trial day and she wanted to finish up with the other lady she was working for so she didn't start full time w/us until next Sat, 7/17. We never even thought about having live-in help, but it is REALLY affordable here. If you don't do live-in, you would have to pay for their taxis and that could add up since most of the women domestic helpers do not drive. Semira is 24 years old from Ethiopia. She is a very hard worker and I can tell she really enjoys the kids. We converted a room in the garage for her room, don't worry there's A/C there and it sounds bad but that's how it is here.

Sun, 7/11- We hired Joanna to help out through Wednesday which was perfect since the kids and I had to get our blood drawn for our iqamas, Saudi residency permit, and the extra pair of hands really helped. The way things are done here can be silly or annoying! When Dan got his done, they told him to take us to the lab to do it, so we did that morning. But when we got there, they said we needed to go another building to get the approval to do it, even though we had an appointment. Whatever! Loaded all the kids back in the car in the heat and drove to the other building. Finally found a parking space and waited for a little over an hour for them to give us the paperwork. It took so long b/c they messed up the birthdate for Hudson, HELLO??? They're triplets, they all have the same birthday! Had to wait for the person who inputed that information to do it so the nurse can print out the paperwork w/the corrected info. Finally got it and went back to the lab, more waiting. Hospitals have separate waiting rooms for male and female. I just stayed w/Dan and the kids in the male section. Time for taking blood. Dan held Tobin and the nurse pricked his finger, he cried, but it wasn't bad. I held Skyler and the nurse wanted to get her blood w/a needle through the vein, the way they do for adults. She tried and couldn't, and she heard Dan and I talking about doing the finger pricking and then she did it even though I asked her to do it first. Hudson's turn and he didn't even cry. Overall kids did really well!
Joanna had her sister-in-law, Glenda, come help her through Wed. Glenda had just arrived from the Phillipines and she was being trained to be a housemaid. I was glad we made the decision to hire Semira, Glenda didn't have the same energy she has and the kids weren't that fond of her.


Wed, 7/14- My name got on an email for new moms who have arrived and Nadia, a mom's who's been here for 4 months called me about a playdate she was hosting. She has a 3 and 6 year old girls. We went over after breakfast and it such a nice change for the kids to be in a different surrounding. They have lots of toys there and a very friendly cat who let all the kids pet him. Since we only had one car at this time, Dan took the bus to work so I could have the Jeep to venture out. Dan came home w/a rented car, a Toyota Yaris, since we were returning Nancy's car tomorrow.
Thurs, 7/15- We had a contractor start painting the dining and living room and get the room in the garage ready for Semira. Nancy babies sat for us that night so we could go to Lulu, another one stop shopping place that's 2 stories. Saudis really know how to shop! I loved this place, it actually has a lot of the stuff I was used to...it even had the rice pudding the kids love from the States that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Only bad part of this outing was the driving, traffic and getting home really late. I thought we were going to die getting there! We were in the Yaris, not a very big car! Saudis are the worst drivers I've ever seen, there are lanes but no one really follows them, people just cut you off when they feel like it and they will squeeze their car into anyplace they can and that's normal driving!!! Traffic was horrible b/c we went on a Thursday night, weekend night for Saudis, not a good idea- everyone was out on the street! With all the traffic and us getting lost there, we didn't get home til 1am. We felt so bad for Nancy, we had no way of calling her (no cell phones), but she was such a huge help!


Semira w/the kids: Tobin, Hudson and Skyler

They love to walk and hold hands, this picture doesn't show it very well though.


They also like to give hugs, here Tobin and Skyler. Hudson will actually give me a kiss when I ask for one---I love it!!!


Tobin, so handsome!



Not sure what Skyler's saying here :-)
These blocks came from Jim, the same guy who helped us on the flight. His family is out on vacation so he let us borrowed these blocks and some big trucks which the boys love!

Hudson and Skyler holding hands.

They like to pin each other down and laugh about it: Hudson & Skyler.




Skyler


Hudson pushing Skyler.


Hudson
Dharhan Hills park: first day w/Semira, she's helping Tobin walk across.

Daddy pushing Skyler on the swing. Tobin walking towards them.

Skyler, Hudson, and Tobin. See Tobin w/Skyler's purple sandals. She doesn't want to have anthing to do w/all the girl shoes I bought her, she just wants to wear the boys shoes.

another play area at the park. This park is HUGE!!!

Up the hills looking down.
another play area

overall shot of the main play area, MAN I can't wait til the weather's nice!












1 comment:

GrandmaG said...

Love it, love it, love it!! But now I wanna cry...sniff, sniff.
The boys look so grown up. What a difference a month makes!! Glad you have Semira. Miss you.