Saturday, September 18, 2010

more Eid---more painting---playdates---Semira's bday---my abaya (09.11- 09.17)

Sat, 9/11- Golf club house breakfast. Eid celebration after nap. We're kinda funny, maybe funny's not the word, but if we do something one day and it's pretty easy venturing out with the kids, we'll do it again. If I can entertain the kids and parents are not too pooped out doing it, I'd say we've done our job!


Sun, 9/12- Took kids to buy paint at Jotun Paint. Finding the place and making it there by 11:30 (prayer time and store closes) was very challenging! Dan called that night AND morning to get directions and confirm their times. Luckily the salesman spoke English but getting directions in Saudi is complicated as all the street names sound the same and I think they all start w/King Faisal. We finally found it out of luck since it was on a one way street which we figured out ourselves and not by the salesman directions. Anyhow, made it there right at 11:30 and they let us inside and shut the doors. Salesman said it would take 15 minutes to mix all the paint, we were there for almost 1- 1/2 hr! Luckily they have a showroom upstairs and the kids were preoccupied "playing" w/the decorations. Until they got bored and started "playing" w/all the painting supplies...let's just say we spent our time putting LOTS of stuff back on the shelves. The painter we hired, Banjo started tomorrow. We did not use the same guy who painted the living and dining rooms. We found out later that he saw fresth meat and took us for a ride. There's not a white wall left in the house except for closets...I love it! What a difference color makes! I love all the colors and the house really feels like home now. BTW, whenever we go somewhere and return, the kids always say "home when we're in the driveway. The hominess (is that a word?) makes me want our shipment to come even faster!!!

Tues, 9/14- playdate at Carissa's house. This was a really good playdate, I met a few more new moms and we all just hit it off instantly, maybe b/c our kids are closer in age. Even saw some other moms from previous playdates, Nadia and Sharon. Semira's been off since last Thursday for Eid and came back today. Dan was also off for Eid and went back to work.


Wed, 9/15- DWG's playdate. We were the only ones there except for a 3 yr old boy. His mom helps run the place and when we came he was playing by himself. I'm sorry but I can't remember his name. The kids had a fun time painting and playing w/all their toys. I think they enjoy this playroom. We also celebrated Semira's bday. I made here a cake and we gave her a present. She worked til 1 and had the rest of the day and Thursday morning off as her additonal bday present.


Thurs, 9/16- Took the kids to the Hobby Farm for breakfast. Then we went to a fabric store to pick out fabric for curtains. They really liked the loud noise from the heavy duty sewing machine and upholstery machine. They had some amazing fabrics and the had really cool ones for the kids rooms too. The saleman came to our house that night to meaure the windows and gave us an estimate. I think we got the Aramco discount (NOT)...so the search continues. After the kids nap, we took them swimming. They have (3) pools at the recreational facilities: a lap pool, regular pool and the kiddie pool. We went to the kiddie pool, the water level is about 1' or 18" max and it's somewhat covered. There were about 6 other kids in the pool and they were all having a good ole time. Since they've been "swimming" in the bath tub, they were doing the same moves at the pool. They enjoyed every bit of it. Sorry there's no pictures, it's not allowed.


Fri, 9/17- The painter finally finished! Since all of the walls are painted, the kids are learning their colors very quick! I made Tina chicken enchildas and deviled eggs and brought them to her during the kids nap. I also got to meet baby Elena. Dan was so worried that if I held Elena, I would come home saying "let's have another baby"...naw we are done! I'm saying this b/c I have (2) yr old triplets and they are definitely fun but LOTS of work! Ask me next yr when they're 3!



Pictures for the week:

Eid celebration. It went on for another night, but we figured 2 nights were enough for us. I'm not sure what the kids thought of these characters. This was at the end as we were leaving. (Tobin, Skyler, and Hudson)


Tobin and Skyler


All three on a different bounce house


Tobin on his first camel ride :-)


Tobin





Skyler on her first camel ride :-)


I'm surprised she kept this ponytail up for so long.





Hudson on his first camel ride :-)








My abaya: serious on the outside, party on the inside.




Carissa's playdate. She has an almost 2 yr old son, Max and an almost 7 yr old daughter Margot. Her housemaid, Joanne was the one who helped me out when we first came. We all enjoyed this playdate, there were lots of kids their age and I had lots of adult convo.
This picture: Semira w/Tobin & Skyler. The other two kids in the back are Sharon's, she's the one who introduced us to Semira.



DWG's playroom





Painting time! At first they kept wanting me and Semira to clean their fingers everytime they got paint on it, until I told them that it's OK and that we'll clean them afterwards. What do you expect? They do have my clean genes in them.


Skyler showing off her hands.


Hudson and Tobin


Hudson



Semira's bday: kids giving her their gift. (Hudson, Tobin & Skyler)




After their lunch, instead of giving them fruits, they got to eat her bday cake. I was worried they wouldn't nap b/c of the sugar, but luckily they did!


I made her a chocolate/vanilla cake.



1 comment:

the Stones said...

Looks like a fun time!
Goodness, how your kiddos have grown! Give them our best :)