OK so their birthday is on 8/22 but we celebrated on the 20th b/c it was a Friday which is the weekend for us in Saudi. The theme, it's obvious, that's what they do EVERYDAY!!! Raising multiples, if someone does something, you can bet the next kid is doing the EXACT same thing whether it's a good or bad behavior. It's really cool when they do something adorable like dance, tip toe, slide or just be silly kids! Instant entertainment (for them and the adults)!
We had about (14) adults and (5) kids at the party. They were mostly Dan's colleages and some of the mommies I've met. Brian was the first guest to arrive and they were still asleep. We actually had to wake them up for their party. See I told you whenever we have something planned for them after their nap, they sleep the longest.
I actually made their cakes and a cake for everyone. Betty Crocker was my friend and I think she'll continue to be my best friend if living in Saudi. I don't think there are any bakeries around, atleast I didn't know any. There are bakeries for breads and Saudi sweets, but not for birthday cakes. I'm sure I will find an ex-pat who makes bday cakes one day. And with Ramadam, I wasn't sure of when stores were opening/closing. Each babes had a heart shaped chocolate and vanilla cake. Why not? These guys hardly ever get to get sugary food and their birthday is the one exception.
About 6:00, my brother, Matthew and my mom called to wish them a Happy Birthday, but it was a little too loud for them to hear the kids. I think Hudson and Skyler were the only ones who were by the phone. After everyone left, we ate some more food as a family and then called my family back. The kids were able to hear the birthday wishes from their Ba Ngoai and Uncle Matthew before it was off to bed. It was easy getting them ready for bed too, everyone was wiped out!!!
What the kids have been up to:
they are saying A LOT of words, just repeating everything! Sometimes they will CONSTANTLY say a word when they see something or point to it, and I HAVE to acknowledge them, EACH and everyone of them or else they will just continue. They like to say "hi" and "bye" and wave to just about any animals they see: birds, cat, dog, ants, etc. They also say a lot of "cooking" words: sharp (for knives and scissors), blow (to blow my hot coffee/tea), coffee, hot dog, soup, fruit words (grapes, apples, pears, apricots, etc.), ketchup, dip, spatula, spoon, fork...just so much I'm sure I'm not getting it all.
they are learning to share, sometimes they like to, sometimes not. I especially like it when they share their food and feed one another. It's the sweetest thing to watch. They like to say "bite" and someone will give them a bite of whatever they're eating. Or when someone's crying, a kid will bring a toy to him or her, sometimes it's the kid that caused the crying. :-)
since we've been here, I've actually let them watch TV. I usually have it turned on after their nap to "Jim Jam", which is kinda like Channel 8 in the States. It's educational cartoons, they learn counting, nursery rhymes, etc. They get really excited about the different shows on there. They all love the "lawnmower" guy, it's basically counting to 10 w/a lawnmower guy, nothing special for adults, but for some reason they are really drawn to that one. They also like a "Sea what we can See", a show about underwater world. Hudson likes "Kipper", a show about a dog being friends w/a pig. They LOVE Barney and Thomas the Train. Sometimes they will sit and watch it and other times it's background noise for them to dance or play. Sometimes they want their other music turned on at the same time too. Before their nap, I play different kids music and they listen to that throughout the day.
They getting good about walking and holding hands with me, Dan, Semira and one another. Since we didn't have a car that would fit our stroller, we've pretty much learned to be w/o it. They know to stay by the garage door or by the van door when I'm putting one kid in and Semira w/another kid. They know to hold hands too when we're walking to and from a place.
They play so much more w/each other, just more interaction. They love to sit and have their little interactions, whether it's the same noise they make or smirk, whatever it is, they laugh about it together. Tonight Hudson was sitting on the floor playing w/a toy and Tobin decides to sit on him, literally sitting on him. I was so afraid Tobin would crush him I told Tobin to get off him and it didn't even phased Hudson, he was playing along. Then once Tobin got off, Skyler got onto Hudson...so wierd, but they were happy babies!
They know when they're pooping or have pooped. I will attempt potty training once our shipment comes and we have all their stuff and when the house is in order. I want there to be stability before I do this so there's nothing to stress them out. They know dirty stuff like "yuck" , "trash". They don't like messes on the floors and wait for us to clean their hands after eating especially Hudson. It's scary that he's so much like me. Skyler and Tobin will run away unless you tell them to stop. Sometimes Skyler continues to run b/c she wants you to chase her. Tobin will run and when you call his name, he'll turn around and give you the "oh alright" look.
They love books and point to the picture and say words. They really love the two books Tina gave them for their birthday, it's a Backyardigan and Princess book where you have to find objects on the page. We read books everyday. I only packed a few Dr. Seus', Curious George, and Sandra Boynton books, can't wait til the rest comes in.
And now pictures time:
Kids w/ (1) yr old Samuel, Julie & Travis' baby.
Dan w/Don, Brian, and Marty. He works w/Brian and Marty and recruited Don and his family over here.
Kids snacking after they woke up. Hudson's on Dan's lap, Skyler next to Semira, and then Tobin. It was Semira's off day but she took a taxi just to come to their party. Noohni and Peter in the background.
Bob and Linda, Noohni & Peter w/the Travis' other two kids: Sarah and James, and of course, Redford
1 comment:
Happy Birthday, Dear Ones!!!
Post a Comment