Monday, November 1, 2010

shipment is here!!! getting ready for Semira to be on vacay :( more play and then sickness (10.16-10.22)

Sat, 10/16- gymnastic class after nap. Semira will be traveling w/the Murphys starting the 23rd and return to us on Dec. 4. This totally sux even though it was agreed upon in the beginning and we didn't realize how sucky that would mean for us considering now the kids have bonded with her. C'est le vie! The Murphys sponsored Semira and they hold her passports, etc. and are legally responsible for her in the Kingdom, which means she can travel w/them. They have Clud, Semira's sister, but they aren't her sponsor. Clud's sponsor is a Saudi family. So we are basically switching housemaids during this time.

To prepare the kids for the change, we had Clud come in the afternoon for 2 times before the trip. She came this afternoon and helped us w/the kids at gym class. The kids are calling her "Mir" for Semira and we are trying to explain to them it's her sister, etc. Later on that evening, Semira came back here and the kids are saying "two mirs". Pretty cute!






Sun, 10/17- Playdate at Carissa and Max's. I emailed some moms I knew didn't have their kids in daycare to do a playdate at the beginning of the week so that we would have atleast two outings in the week. Carissa and a few other moms agreed to this and since we were so concerned about our shipment coming, Carissa offered to host the first one. It was a really nice gathering-the moms are really friendly and funny and it's so nice to have adult conversations and have women who can somewhat relate to what you're going through. I definitely look forward to playdates, not only a chance for the kids to socialize but Mommy really benefit from it too!






Mon, 10/18- I canceled my playdate w/Tina since our surface shipment finally cleared customs!!! WHOO HOOOO!!!! Only a month later but that's how they roll here. What to do with the kiddos and furries? Dan woke up early to take the furries to the kennel club and didn't pick them up until the next day. I feed the kids breakfast and took them and Semira to Bee and John's house. They recently converted their garage into a playroom and I figured that would be the best spot for them. And they have Susan, their nanny there to help as well. The night before I packed their snacks, lunch, blankets, pillows, and loaded what we could in the van. The funny thing is Dan actually came home from dropping the furries off, but had to hid in the garage so the kids wouldn't see him. They just assumed he was off at work. I dropped them off and couldn't stay long...I heard Tobin cried as I sneaked off, but Semira got him. Hudson and Skyler loved the new surrounding.






Made it home and Aramco was here picking up their furniture. FINALLY no more hard furniture and the small $ss bed! We opted to keep the Aramco cribs just incase our new cribs were not assembled before the day's over. Then I saw the light, it was amazing to see the first truck come w/OUR STUFF!!! If you know me, I'm not much of a materialistic person, but being here w/not your stuff and finally getting it, it was just a happy happy happy feeling!




The first truck held 2 crates. I think each of those crates are about 5'x 10'x12'. They finished unloading at 9:40. We had numbered the rooms so it was easy to tell the men where we wanted the boxes. A tip from a mommy I met. Second truck finished unloading at 10:15, again w/2 more crates. There were 9 men unloading, all manual labor, no dolleys, no cranes, no gloves, no belts. We had 331 items to be checked off. That's A LOT considering we went over about $4K in overages on our weight limit. During the second truck, the main guy had to leave b/c the big kahuna (a freight truck) was stuck at the gate. They needed Dan to go w/them to get it cleared. They were gone for a long time. I was left to hold the fort, it actually wasn't that bad b/c it wasn't that hot and it was exciting to see my STUFF!!! The hardest part was understanding the number they were calling out. I was really so busy I couldn't think about how the kids would be w/o me for the day, but every time I called and checked on them, Semira or Bee said everything was fine, that they even played outside in the backyard and kids were all doing well.


Bee even said my kids are so well behaved, no fighting over toys, etc...I couldn't believe my ear, not my kids, I don't understand why they fight all the time w/me, I guess b/c they know Mommy will love them regardless. They even napped for an hour. Anyways back to the shipment, Dan finally came back and told me someone had the wrong information on the crates so things didn't match up and security wouldn't let them in. Dan had to vouch that those were our shipment. The big kahuna had 8 crates and finished unloading at 12:30. Dan heated up some frozen pizzas for the workers, we figured if we feed them and gave them water, that maybe they would have energy to take care of our stuff. Heck, I also made them tea! Last truck of 2 crates finished unloading at 1:40, then the fun begins! Unpacking! How funny and chaotic at the same time, all I kept thinking was how much of this mess can I clear up before we pick the kids up. It was enough motivation for me to kick it up a notch. We had boxes everywhere! And on top of that they wanted us to open all the breakable boxes and reconcile any damages. We did have a few casualties: one broken crib (we'll have to rent 1 Aramco crib until they outgrow it), the dryer is somehow dented, still works, a broken vase and ceramic wall hanging, the dining room table lock. Those are what we could see, as we are unpacking and moving furniture around upstairs, we've noticed a few more cracks and stuff on the kids brand new bedroom furniture. We still have 30 days to assess all damages so we'll see.


I called Bee and told her we wouldn't be done until after 6 so she made mac and cheese for them. I picked them up close to 7 and they were so happy to see me, all three running to my lap---such a wonderful feeling!



We hung out w/the kids for about 30 minutes, they were SOOOOO happy to see us and all their toys. Putting them to bed was a breeze, they were all ready! :-)



Semira did a great job of watching them all day and I asked her if she was tired. She said "no" and even offered to help me wash my china and put away some of the glasswares.




Tues, 10/19- Coffee morning w/Saadia's group. Also had my followup appointment w/my doc before kids woke up, the one I canceled the week before b/c the boys had fever. She's recommending I see a specialist, possible gall balder issues. My appointment is not until December, I think a day before we head out for Houston, what perfect timing. NOT!





Wed, 10/20- Playdate at Andrea and her girls. Wednesday playdates are now at someone's house instead of DWG. DWG was just for during the "summer" months when mommies were out of Kingdom. The big playdate I went to at Sharon's a few weeks ago was so huge that some moms have decided to separate the playdates by age. It's a lot better b/c atleast you can have conversations and hear people, but the down side is I've made friends w/other moms who are in the 3 yr old group and it's been tough finding time to socialize with them too. We have Clud again in the afternoon. Kids are still a little weary of her, just everyone new they meet.




Thurs, 10/21- Boys started having coughs and serious snotty noses. So we laid low again and stir clear of other kids. I heard there was some kind of "camp bug" going around, guess with all the playdates we go to, it's bound to catch one of our babies and that usually means all three. It seems Tobin had the worst case, his just lingers. They all look good, still playing and eating, but I don't like it when they're coughing, it looks so painful for them. Poor babies, luckily we had some meds from States and when that ran out, we bought some from cough syrup from the on-camp pharmacy and that really seemed to nipped it in the bud for them.

We've been working our arse off unpacking and making the place feel like home. Dan's been such a trooper, staying up til midnight which is very late for him. The only time we have to do anything is when kids are napping and after they go to bed. What once was the most hated place in this house, the entryway, is now my favorite. It was just so dark I couldn't stand it. Nothing like photos, artworks, and a bright colored paint to liven that space up- I just love it! I made one of the wall the family photo wall like the Westwood house. That's where the kids like to hang out and see their families and tell them who everyone is. I think they remember the family too.


Pictures of the week:

it's mostly shipment pictures, we've been so busy I don't think I took any kids picture except for one.

a mom I met through the playdates suggested we numbered the rooms since the movers prolly wouldn't understand room names like living room, dining room, etc. but numbers are universal. worked perfectly!



Skyler playing w/her new tool belt. They love all of Anne and Andrew's old toys. And they were so excited when they saw this Kangaroo climber, is it possible that they have memories of it? This is the play area, it's all about them...we even hung their big pictures up like the Westwood house.



Aramco picking up their furniture, got a little misty here...no not at all! We did keep the 3 Aramco cribs since we weren't sure if the movers would finish putting their cribs together, they did. They picked it up next day, had to, there was no room left w/5 cribs in the room. BTW, 1 crib was damaged through the move, totally bummed since we have to rent one of the Aramco ones which I hate b/c I can't lower the railings...hello I'm short, it's tough getting them in and out.



first truck



this has been the best thing Dan bought, a shelf for the garage, it's still narrow enough for the van. He bought it from someone retiring and leaving.



9 movers



brick walkway was a big help!




big kahuna



so good to see our stuff! people keep asking me about the white boxes on the wall, it's nothing, just a graphic thing since there's no architectural details at all in these houses.


trash on the lawn if you can still see the grass







dining room or room # 1


master bedroom aka room # 7. LOVE the Temper Pedic bed, OMG Dan and I have had the BEST sleep ever! and this is not even the top of line model, what would happen if we had gotten the top one, we prolly wouldn't wake up!


one of the kids room, was going to be the upstair playroom but all the new furniture we bought them takes up A LOT of space


that's right, couldn't even walk out the front door


gotta have my red room, it's the kitchen and upstairs office...strawberry jam is the color, LOVE it!!! Poor dishwasher, got a workout for atleast 2 days.



1 comment:

GrandmaG said...

I can hardly imagine it! You guys are amaaaazing! Pack, move, unpack, paint, pave, unpack some more and keeping your sense of humor.....